An action as simple as falling can lead to serious consequences. Over 700,000 people are hospitalized a year because of a fall injury, typically from a head injury or hip fracture. Worldwide, an estimated 424,000 falls are fatal, making falls the second leading cause of unintentional injury death, only second to road traffic injuries. Falling takes the lives of millions of senior citizens 65 and older every year and can lead to serious injuries in younger persons as well. Though one would think traffic crashes take the lead in this category, falling is actually the top cause of traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
There are thousands of scenarios in which a fall can result in a serious injury.Falling can lead to severe pain in any area of the body that felt the impact. It can also result in broken bones that require surgical attention that later leads to pain caused by the surgery itself. There is no shortage of possibilities for pain and injury when you experience a fall.
Beware of these conditions
Several conditions contribute to falling, making a fall more likely to occur. Take these into serious consideration, especially in regards to patients 65 or older who are at higher risk of suffering falls and injuries and fatalities as a result of those falls.
- Weakness in the lower extremities of the body such as the feet and legs
- Deficiency in Vitamin D leading to weak bones
- Trouble walking and balancing
- Using medications like tranquilizers, sedatives, antidepressants, or even some over-the-counter medicines that can make you drowsy or dizzy. Always check the side effects before taking any pills since many can affect balance and alertness.
- Difficulty seeing
- Inappropriate footwear or pain in your feet
- Physical hazards around the home such as broken or uneven steps, randomly elevated tiles, chipped flooring, rugs that can be tripped over, a lack of handrails along stairs or in the bathtub, wet floors, cluttered floors, narrow walkways, and more all create conditions in which a fall has a greater chance of being a reality.
If you have sustained an injury due to a slip and fall or are experiencing pain and soreness we have a dedicated team of expert pain physicians eager to treat your symptoms. Give your local New Jersey Garden State Pain Center a call today to evaluate your condition and provide you with information about the various procedures available to you.