What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident: Answering Medical Treatment And Insurance Questions

Oct 16, 2023

misc image

Garden State Pain and Orthopedics offers personalized treatment and diagnostic services for car accident injuries. Read more to learn about common questions regarding car accidents, what to do, what to expect from insurance, and what treatments we offer.

Car accident injuries can vary widely in their severity and nature, and as a result, people often have a range of questions about them. Garden State Pain and Orthopedics provides comprehensive personalized healthcare treatments for car accident injuries in Clifton, Edison, Jersey City, West Orange, and Hazlet, New Jersey. Here are some of the most common questions people have about car accident injuries, and our responses. 

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.


What should I do immediately after a car accident?

  • Check for Injuries: First and foremost, check yourself and others for injuries. If anyone is seriously injured, call 911 or the emergency services in your area immediately. Do not attempt to move seriously injured individuals unless they are in danger.
    • Move to a safe location if the accident is minor and it's safe to do so, move your vehicle out of traffic to prevent further accidents. Turn on hazard lights to make your vehicle visible.
  • Call the Police: Contact the local police to report the accident. They can create an official accident report, which can be essential for insurance claims and legal matters.
  • Exchange Information: Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved, including names, addresses, phone numbers, driver's license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information. Be polite and cooperative, but avoid discussing fault at the scene.
  • Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, damage to vehicles, and any visible injuries. This documentation can be valuable later.
    • If there are witnesses, get their contact information. They may be able to provide statements about what they saw.
  • Notify Your Insurance Company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident and start the claims process. Provide accurate and detailed information about the incident.
  • Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine, it's advisable to see a healthcare professional to assess any hidden injuries or medical concerns. Some injuries may not manifest symptoms right away.
  • Contact an Attorney: If the accident resulted in significant injuries or there are disputes about fault or compensation, you may want to consult with a personal injury attorney.

Should I seek medical attention even if I feel fine after a car accident?

Yes, you should seek medical attention even if you feel fine after a car accident. It's a common misconception that you only need medical attention if you experience immediate and noticeable injuries. In reality, there are several reasons why it's crucial to see a healthcare professional even if you don't feel injured right away:

  • Delayed Onset of Symptoms: Many car accident injuries, such as whiplash, soft tissue injuries, and concussions, may not show symptoms immediately. They can become apparent hours or even days after the accident.
  • Hidden Injuries: Some injuries, like internal bleeding or damage, may not have obvious symptoms but can be life-threatening if left untreated.
  • Legal and Insurance Considerations: Seeking prompt medical attention creates a documented record of your injuries. This documentation can be vital for insurance claims and legal proceedings if you decide to pursue compensation for your injuries.
  • Peace of Mind: Getting checked by a medical professional can provide peace of mind, knowing that you don't have any hidden injuries that could worsen over time.
  • Preventative Further Injury: Early detection and treatment can prevent minor injuries from becoming more severe or developing into chronic conditions.

When you visit Garden State Pain and Orthopedics, be sure to describe the accident and any potential symptoms, even if they seem mild. Your healthcare provider can perform a thorough examination, order diagnostic tests if necessary, and provide you with a proper diagnosis and treatment plan if any injuries are detected. Your health and well-being is our priority. The sooner you seek medical attention, the better your chances of identifying and addressing any injuries that may not be immediately obvious.


What medical treatment and procedures do you offer for patients who have suffered from a car accident?

Garden State Pain and Orthopedics offers a broad spectrum of services. Here is a brief overview of a few of the treatments we offer.

  • Medical Evaluation: After an accident, it's essential to undergo a thorough medical evaluation to assess injuries, even if you don't have immediate symptoms. This evaluation may include a physical examination, medical history, and diagnostic tests.
    • Garden State Pain and Orthopedics provides diagnostics testing such as electromyography (EMGs), nerve conduction velocity tests (NCV), X-ray, and ultrasound to help diagnose and treat injuries. 
  • Orthopedic Care: Garden State Pain and Orthopedics’ has a team of orthopedic specialist surgeons that can provide conserved and surgical care for car accident injuries. Orthopedic specialists can treat injuries to bones, joints, and muscles. Common orthopedic treatments may include casting, bracing, and physical therapy, and sometimes traditional and arthroscopic surgery. Our orthopedic team provides ligament repair, total joint replacements, and regenerative medicine such as PRP Therapy. 
    • Dr. Deepan Patel specializes in knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and ankle injuries.
    • Dr. Scott Hanauer specializes in foot and ankle injuries. 
    • PA-C Matt Jensen assists both Dr. Deepan Patel with most procedures. 
  • Pain Management: Many car accident victims experience pain and discomfort. Our team provides epidural injections, percutaneous disc decompression, kyphoplasty, EMGs, nerve ablations, MILD procedures, lumbar facet blocks, Spinal Cord Stimulators, and other procedures for car accident injuries. Garden State Pain & Orthopedics has 6 Pain Management Physicians:
    • Dr. Dev Sinha
    • Dr. Neil Sinha
    • Dr. Jahnna Levy
    • Dr. Saurabh Dang
    • Dr. Dipan Patel
    • Dr. Andrew So
    • Our Pain Team is assisted by Nurse Practitioner Lauren Gasparini and PA-C Tyler Duggan

If you have any questions about our treatment offering, please visit our service page to learn more. 


How do I choose a healthcare provider or specialist for my injuries?

Garden State Pain and Orthopedics has an experienced team of orthopedic specialists and pain medicine physicians that can help guide you through this difficult, painful, and stressful time. The practice is located in Clifton, Jersey City, West Orange, Edison, and Hazlet, New Jersey. If you would like to read more about our providers you can visit our providers page, or visit our services page to learn more about the conditions we treat. If there is a specific condition that we do not treat, we have a network of other providers that can provide specialized care for you. 


Will my insurance cover my medical expenses after a car accident?

Whether your insurance will cover your medical expenses after a car accident depends on the type of insurance coverage you have and the circumstances of the accident. In many cases, your health insurance policy will cover medical expenses resulting from a car accident, even if it was not your fault. You should contact your health insurance provider to understand the coverage and any copayments or deductibles you may be responsible for. In New Jersey, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is usually a part of auto insurance policies. PIP covers medical expenses and other related costs for you and your passengers, regardless of fault. 

Your insurance may also include MedPay (Medical Payments Coverage). MedPay is optional coverage you can add to your auto insurance policy. It covers medical expenses for you and your passengers in the event of an accident, regardless of fault.

What if the accident was the other driver's fault?  If the other driver is determined to be at fault for the accident, their liability insurance should cover your medical expenses, provided their policy has sufficient coverage. You or your attorney would typically file a claim with their insurance company. If the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage may cover your medical expenses, as well as other costs associated with the accident.

Be sure to report the accident to your insurance company promptly, even if you believe the other driver is at fault, as they can provide guidance on the claims process. If you have any doubts or questions about whether your medical expenses will be covered, you can consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in personal injury law. They can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you receive the compensation you're entitled to.


Can I receive compensation for pain and suffering after a car accident?

Yes, it is possible to receive compensation for pain and suffering after a car accident. Pain and suffering damages  are intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress you experience as a result of the accident. These damages are in addition to any compensation you may receive for medical expenses, property damage, and lost wages. If you have any more questions about this it is best to consult with your attorney. 

If you have any questions about your car accident injury, injury, or insurance, please give us a call. You can schedule an appointment with one of your expert physicians by selecting “Book Now”.



Address: 1117 Route 46 East, Suite 301, Clifton, NJ 07013

Phone: 973-777-5444



Address: 25 South Main Street, Suite 12, Edison, NJ 08837

Phone: 732-376-0330


Jersey City

Address: 631 Grand Street, Suite 2-100, Jersey City, NJ 07304

Phone: 973-777-5444



Address: 226 Middle Road, Suite 4, Hazlet, NJ 07730 

Phone: 732-376-0330 


West Orange

Address: 443 Northfield Ave West Orange, NJ 07052

Phone: 732-376-0330